Why: The Michelin Youth Empowerment through Service (YES!) Program exists to provide middle school students with opportunities for leadership development, personal empowerment and community service initiatives. The program is free thanks to Michelin.
Who: Middle School Students currently enrolled in grades 6-8
What and Where: Students volunteer within the museum and at community events where the Museum is represented. Students will mostly be responsible for helping with special event activities and programming. Additional opportunities may include story & more, open art studios, and birthday parties. YES! volunteers receive monthly training sessions where students participate in team building and leadership activities, hear from guest speakers and learn more about how the museum operates.
Sample Event Shifts:
- Assist programming staff with interactive demonstrations and programs
- Host a special activities booth to go with the event theme; example: Rangoli Art during International Day
- Create special programming to go with the event theme; example: Hop on Pop Drama during Seuss Day
- 2017-2018 School Year Session | October - May
- 2018 Summer Session | June-August
In order to volunteer, applicants must (please read instructions carefully):
- Fill out the Online Application and by clicking the “Apply Now” button below (available during open application periods). There are three parts to the application: Application Part 1, Application Part 2 and a Reference Form. All three need to be in before the deadline.
- Provide one reference that you have known for more than one year and is not related to you with the online reference link. You will receive the link after you submit your online application on the confirmation page on Application Part 2.
- Program slots are limited. If the application is accepted to move on in the process, the applicant will be invited to participate to interview with TCMU staff.
- If following the interview, the applicant is accepted into the program, the student and their parent(s)/ guardian(s) must attend the scheduled orientation, dates listed below.
You must review the program requirements and dates prior to applying:
TCMU reserves the right to discontinue the services of any volunteer, at any time, for any reason, including a student's expulsion from his or her school.
YES! Application Sessions
Applications Available: August 1
Application Deadline: September 8 for Application Part 1; Part 2 and Reference are due by September 13 at 9am.
Volunteer Interviews Open: September 14-27 (Tuesday- Saturday 3:30-5:30pm)
Volunteer Orientation & Training: October 5; 6pm
Applications Available: March 20
Application Deadline: April 24 for Application Part 1; Part 2 and Reference are due by May 1 at 9am.
Volunteer Interviews Open: May 4-25 (Tuesday- Saturday 3:30-5:30pm)
Volunteer Orientation & Training: June 14; 6pm
Important Fall Dates:
*Students must commit to volunteer for 2 to 3 fall events to be eligible
Saturday, October 14 - YES! Day
Saturday, October 28 - Boo!Seum
Saturday, November 11 - YES! Day
Saturday, November 18 - YES! Day
Saturday, December 9 & 16 - Breakfast with Santa (AM event only) Saturday, December 30 - Noon Year's Eve (limited event)
*Winter and spring Dates will be available in November; YES! volunteers will repeat the commitment process at this time.
*Additional volunteer opportunities may be available during weekday afternoons and weekends on an as-needed basis. There will be an on-going sign-up available for students to check regularly for opportunities.
*Students must attend at least 2 out of 3 meetings to be eligible
Thursday, October 12, 5pm-6:30pm
Thursday, November 16, 5pm-6:30pm
Thursday, December 14, 5-6pm*
*Note early release